The Greatness of Christ
– The Bible describes one God who consists of three eternal, equal persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. We learn from the Bible clearly that there is only one God. We also learn clearly that there are three persons who make up this one God. There is nothing else in creation that is like this, like the Godhead. A term that we use to describe this is the “Trinity” (and as mentioned, “the Godhead”). One God, three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
– We are going to focus on the second person of the Trinity, God the Son. We are going to see some awesome things from God’s Word. We are going to be awed by God the Son.
1) Jesus is the image of the invisible God (15a)
– Jesus is the exact representation (“icon”) of the invisible God. We cannot see God because He is spirit, but Jesus is God (the Son, specifically) in a physical body.
* Jn. 1:1, 14; 5:16-18; Heb. 1:3
2) Jesus is the firstborn over all creation (15b)
– In Jewish culture the firstborn son received the inheritance from his father, and took charge of his father’s things.
3) Jesus created all things (16)
– Jesus was involved in creating everything. Jesus, God the Son, along with the Father and the Holy Spirit created all things.
* Jn. 1:3; Heb. 1:2
4) Jesus is before all things (17a)
– Jesus existed before all things. This is because God the Son has existed eternally. He is the second person of the divine Trinity. He was not created.
* Jn. 1:1-2
5) Jesus holds all things together (17b)
– God the Son causes everything to continue and work in this creation. God is the one who keeps this planet spinning, seasons changing, food growing, rain falling, Sun rising, etc…
* Heb. 1:3
6) Jesus is the head of the Church (18a)
– God the Son is the boss of the Church. He is the boss of every single believer. He is the chief Shepherd/Pastor (1 Pet. 5:4). If anyone wants to know who ultimately is in charge around here, it is Jesus, God the Son. Yet God has placed pastors/elders in the churches to oversee them and lead them for Him.
* Eph. 1:22-23
7) Jesus is the beginning and the firstborn from the dead (18b-c)
– God the Son was the first to rise from the dead with an immortal, glorified body. God the Son in a resurrection/glorified body is the beginning of God’s new creation.
* 1 Cor. 15:20, 23; Acts 26:22-23
8) Jesus has first place in everything (18d)
– God the Son is given first place over all creation. He is preeminent and presides over creation. He is exalted by God the Father and given the name above every name.
* Phil. 2:9-11
9) Jesus is God (19)
– Jesus has all of the fullness (plhrow = completeness) of God in Himself. Jesus has the fullness and completeness of deity in Himself. Jesus is God the Son, the second person of the divine Trinity, the second person of the divine Godhead.
* Phil. 2:6; Col. 2:9
10) Jesus has reconciled all things to God the Father through His death on the cross (20)
– As a result of mankind’s rebellion against God: creation is cursed, people are separated from God spiritually (spiritually dead), and people are under judgment. God the Son indwelt a human body, and took God the Father’s judgment, for the sins of mankind, on Himself when He died on the cross.
* Rom. 5:6-11
– It seems as though ¾ of Americans are in therapy. We have wrongfully “Christianized” worldly psychology and counseling advice. Here is a quote from Al Mohler (president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary),
“Most people (especially Americans) feel that all of their problems are because of something external that has happened to them. So they look for a solution from within (“self-help”). People believe that they have a problem that is from an external source and they are searching for an internal solution (inside themselves). The Bible tells us that we have an internal problem (inside ourselves) and our only solution is external, that is righteousness from God through faith in Christ’s death and resurrection for the forgiveness of sins.”
– We have explored some facts about Jesus Christ, who is God the Son. These are awesome things, truths that should lead us to worship the one true God. The Bible is the source of truth. Let us be people that are students of the Word of God, not just learning it, but living according to it in our lives.