In every area of life success comes from hard-work, except one area – getting to heaven.
– How many of you like superheroes or superhero movies? Superman, Spiderman, Batman, the list goes on and on… Out of these three superheroes, which one is your favorite? Any of you comic book readers or collectors? Did you know that many people don’t like Superman (people who are comic book readers) because he is not realistic? I know I like Superman because he has only one weakness. How many of you would like to have only one weakness? The truth is we have many weaknesses. In many of these weaknesses we can work hard and improve ourselves. If you want to get stronger physically, work-out. If you want to become a better athlete, practice. Through hard-work there are so many things we can improve in and conquer.
– There is one thing that many people work hard to conquer and no matter how hard they try, they can never conquer it. Over thousands and thousands of years no man has ever been able to conquer this one area. The area that I am talking about is, getting to heaven through your own goodness. The Bible says that God has set a standard that people must meet to be able to go to heaven when they die. What is the standard for getting into heaven? Moral perfection, complete innocence. No matter how hard we try we can never reach that standard on our own. Every single person on the face of the earth has failed to reach the standard because, we have done wrong things, we have disobeyed God. So we all fall short. Well, what do we do about this problem? I am glad that you asked. The answer is, God thinks we are so valuable/important that He sent His Son Jesus from heaven to die on the cross (because our wrongdoings needed to be punished, Jesus took our punishment) for our sins. Jesus’ death on the cross provided the payment for our sins. If the story ended there you might say, “how heroic, but sad.” But, Jesus rose alive three days later, which confirmed that God accepted and approved of what Jesus did on the cross.
– So, back to the question, “what do we do about the fact that we fall short of being morally perfect?” The Bible tells us:
* For the Scripture says, “WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.” Rom 10:11
* for “WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.” Rom 10:13
1) Accept that you are a sinner
2) Believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose again3) Ask God to forgive your sins – putting all your trust for forgiveness in Jesus’ death and resurrection
4) Surrender control of your life to God and invite Jesus into your life